Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Andretti Autosport Mazda Road to Indy Week - Spencer Pigot

Andretti Autosport Road to Indy Week – A series of interviews with the young and upcoming drivers in the Andretti Autosport stable.







As part of a preview to the 2011 season, www.IndyCarGarage.com will feature a three part series on the Andretti Autosport Road to Indy drivers. Zach Veach, Spencer Pigot, and Sage Karam all will compete in the Mazda Road to Indy ladder system this season and all currently driver for Andretti Autosport. All three drivers have been or will be guest on IndyCar Garage Weekly, be sure to check out the podcasts of their interview as well.

Second in the series is USF2000 driver Spencer Pigot.

IndyCar Garage – 5 Questions with Andretti Autosport Road to Indy Drivers



Driver: Spencer Pigot, #8 Team MAZDASPEED /Skip Barber car

Series: Cooper Tires USF2000 National Championship Powered by Mazda

Sponsors: MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development, Skip Barber, Parathyroid.com, California Scents

Interviewed on IndyCar Garage Weekly: February 9th – Link to podcast: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/indycargarage-weekly--





Question # 1 – Explain your path of how you got started in motorsports and found the world of IndyCar



My dad used to race back in England and a little bit in America so I got my passion for the sport from him. My start in motorsports came when I was seven years old and I got an old go-kart for Christmas. I didn’t get to drive it much because there were no tracks near my house; we had to drive from North Carolina all the way to Ohio to race! But when I was nine we moved to Florida and I was able to start racing regularly in the Florida State Championship. From there I moved into national level karting and into the Skip Barber Racing Schools. I won the Skip Barber Karting Shoot-out in late 2009 and then the National Championship in 2010. Now I am on the Mazda Road to Indy in the USF2000 National Championship thanks to the prize I was given by MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development for winning the Skip Barber National title. Although I just entered the Mazda Road to Indy I have been watching IndyCar races for as long as I can remember. I went to my first IndyCar race when I was 10 years old at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, ever since then I have loved IndyCar racing and have wanted to be an IndyCar Driver.





Question #2 – Describe to the fans your feelings on a race day and what it’s actually like when the green flag drops and the race begins.





Race day is a little different than the other days of the weekend. All of the work has been done to try and maximize the car for the race so there is always a little more pressure on race day. I do my best to stay calm leading up to the race and I like to be alone so I can focus. When I am sitting in the car waiting to pull out on to the track I am always a little nervous but as soon and the engine starts it all goes away and I’m very calm in the car. The start is usually the most exciting part of the race. You are always watching the flagman to see when he will wave the green, as soon as you see it, its all out from that point on. It’s quite tricky to get it right because you can’t start to accelerate too early because you will get a penalty for jumping the start but obviously can’t wait too long or else you will get passed.

Question # 3 - What driver have you looked up to throughout your career and why?





I don’t have one specific driver that I have looked up to throughout my career. When I started racing it was always Michael Schumacher because he was always winning the Formula One World Championship. Recently, I’ve looked up to Mark Webber. I love his aggression, attitude and determination. I also admire his talent because I think he is one of the fastest guys on the F1 grid.



Question # 4 - What’s your ultimate goal as a young and upcoming driver in the Mazda Road to Indy Series?



My ultimate goal is to win the Indianapolis 500. It’s been my goal ever since I have started racing and being on the Mazda Road to Indy is exactly where I need to be in order to have the best chance at making that goal happen.

Question #5 – What are you most excited about for the 2011 season and why?



I’m really excited to race at some of the IndyCar events, especially at St. Pete. I’ve been to that race for the past few years and I love the event. It will be my first ever street course experience so I’m not really sure what to expect but I’m looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment