Monday, October 24, 2011

ni2 24/10/11

Homework p 17

Due -expected
[not before noun] expected to happen or arrive at a particular time
due to do something
The team are due to fly to Italy next month.
His new book is due to be published next year.

clock off
phrasal verb 1 informal to leave work at the end of the day:
What time do you clock off?

Buck [countable]
1
dollar
informal a US, Canadian, or Australian dollar:
He owes me ten bucks.
The movie is about a group of men trying to make a buck (=earn some money) as male strippers.

Does it ring the bell?
Isolated
More often than not.
menu / ˈmenjuː/

Verbs with 2 objects (p19):
They serve you your second course/badly prepared food…
They give you a menu/a basket/mineral water…
It costs you an arm and a leg…
They bring you the bill…

Ex 7
We left the waiter a tip/a tip for the waiter.
The waiter brought us the bill/the bill to us.
I gave them some water/some water to them.
They charged her a pound/a pound to her.
Ex 11
Expected us to…
Costs… charge…
Occupied…attend to…

VERBS WITH TWO OBJECTS

When verbs are followed by two objects, the first object (the indirect object) is usually a person or a group of people and the second object (the direct object) is usually a thing:
• I peeled her an orange.
• He lent me his pen.
• They taught us the German alphabet.
• It was kind of you to make the vicar and his wife a cup of coffee.
If we want to reverse the order and place the direct object first, then the indirect object has to be converted into a phrase beginning with either to or for:
• I peeled an orange for her.
• He lent his pen to me.
• They taught the German alphabet to us.
• It was kind of you to make a cup of coffee for the vicarand his wife.

We often prefer this second pattern is we want to focus particular attention on the people described in the indirect prepositional object or when the prepositional object is very long:
• We gave a course certificate to everyone who had attended 90% of the programme.
• We fetched take-away pizzas for all the children who arrived home after eight o' clock.
It would clearly be inappropriate, if not confusing, to say:
• We gave everyone who had attended 90% of the
programme a course certificate.
• We fetched all the children who arrived home after
eight o' clock take-away pizzas.
as the meaning may not be clear.
Here are some of the most common verbs with the for + indirect object formulation:
book build buy catch
choose cook find get
make order peel pour save
• He poured a drink for me.
• She found a two-bedroom flat for me.
• She found suitable accommodation for all the French tourists who arrived last night.

Here are some of the most common verbs with the to + indirect object formulation:
award give grant hand
lend offer owe tell
promise pass show teach throw
• He handed him a four-page form.
• He handed a four-page form to everybody who had applied for early retirement.
• She told lies about her background to everyone at work.
Some common verbs we can use with either to or for + indirectobjects. These include:
bring leave pay play post
read send sing take write
Sometimes the meaning is the same:
• I haven't got my glasses. Will you read me the letter?
• I haven't got my glasses. Will you read it out for me?
• I haven't got my glasses. Will you read it out to me?
Sometimes it changes:
• Will you post it to me? Please send it to me.
• Will you post it for me? I can't get to the post office this afternoon.
There are some common verbs which are followed by two objects which cannot have their objects reversed to allow the to/for formulation. These include:
allow ask cost deny
envy forgive permit refuse
We would have to say, for instance:
• You have asked me a difficult question which I cannot answer.
• It cost them a lot of money.
• I envy you your large detached house in the country.
We cannot say:
• You have asked a difficult question to me which I cannot answer.
• It cost a lot of money to them.
• I envy your large detached house in the country for you

No comments:

Post a Comment